[vtkusers] Compiling VTK 3.2 on RedHat 7.0

Robert Belleman robbel at science.uva.nl
Sun Mar 11 12:14:59 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 08:17:58PM +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> hi,

>     Carlos> How can I debug the core if I run a tcl or java example?
>     Carlos> I'm not compiling cxx examples.
>
> I think you can just run gdb core.  You will get atleast some
> messages.  With python it is easy to debug stuff on gdb.

If a Vtk/Tcl program dumps core, use:

  $ gdb `which vtk` core  # note REVERSE quotes

from the directory in which the core is located.

Then type "where" to get a stack dump.
Possibly "list" to see at which line in the source code the fault
happened (works only when the code where the crash occured has been
compiled with debugging symbols).

Of course, you still have a way to go to get back to the script line
that produced the core. If you want to debug a script, consider the
tcl_traceExec and tcl_traceCompile variables (set them both to 1)
or get a Tcl debugger.

-- Rob

[] Robert Belleman         X  Section Computational Science            []
[] robbel at science.uva.nl  |X| University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands []
[] tel: (+31) 20 525 7510  X  http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbel/       []