[vtkusers] vtk, python20, TkRenderWidget, Win2000

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-a at barre.nom.fr
Wed Mar 7 10:06:38 EST 2001

At 07/03/01 20:14 +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>If by "crash" you mean it says something like "Cant load
>TkRenderWidget" or something when you run the program from a shell,
>then, IMHO, this is because the installation doesnt run install.py
>that is in the python dir in the source tree.  I mentioned this
>sometime back on this list.  The install.py copies the
>TkRenderWidget.dll to a system directory and if this isnt done then
>Tcl cant load the library.

You might not need to use install.py. If you are able to run VTK from Tcl,
then you will be able to run the Tk widget from Python provided that :
         - TkRenderWidget.dll is in the same directory DIR as the usual VTK
dll (which is the case by default for incremental build)
         - your PYTHONPATH has a path to DIR

Am I right ? Well it works for me, and I do not want any install.py to move
the dll to the system dir :)

>I thought that vtk had problems building with Tcl/Tk8.3?

I'm not sure about this, at least for Windows. I'm using 8.3 :)