[vtkusers] Using VTK to "peel layers" from a volume surface

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Jun 21 14:34:50 EDT 2001

hi,

    SD> Hello, I am using VTK to visualize a 3D grid of cellular
    SD> automata. What I hope to end up with are the automata
    SD> displayed as points on a cylinder, sphere, or torus where I
    SD> can then peel off the outside layers in order to observe inner
    SD> structures of the automata. Does anyone know if/how VTK can be
    SD> used to "peel away layers" in this fashion? I am using Tcl/Tk
    SD> to write the scripts.  Thanks in advance,

If you create actors like layers of an onion and place the automata on
them, then you can always peel them off since you created it that way.
OTOH, if you mean you will create a whole bunch of random points and
will want to "peel"/cut through them, then you could try to use
vtkClipPolyData.  Look at the examples in the graphics/examplesTcl
directory.  There are quite a few that use vtkClipPolyData.

prabhu

--
Pain is a thing of the mind.  The mind can be controlled.
		-- Spock, "Operation -- Annihilate!" stardate 3287.2