[vtkusers] Performance of vtk 3.1.2 with Java under Windows 2000

Christian Pöcher Poecher at gmx.net
Sat Jun 16 04:59:12 EDT 2001

Hi,

I did an visualisation with something about 10000 polygons on a WinNT4
machine using vtk 3.1.2 and Suns JDK 1.2.2. Everything was fine, the
visualisation ran with 3-5 fps on the old Permedia-2. Now I tried it under
Win2k and found it very sluggish. I got 1-3 fps and it seemed vtk got events
from my mouse which have been stored in a queue.
To make it clearer: I moused in the vtkPanel, released the mouse button, but
the actors rotated on. It took up to 30 sec until vtk got no more events.
I tried it on one WinNT4 (the only one we have left :-) and it worked fine
on it. Then I took another machine with the same hardware, but Win2k instead
of NT4. On that machine the visualisation was slow. So I tried it on my
machine at home, with a modern graphics board and another Win2k machiene.
All with the same result.

I found it hard to localize the error, but have sone ideas:
 - ASAIK there has been a change in the OpenGL driver architecture from NT4
to Win2k. So maybe something driver-related. But I tried several graphics
boards with several drivers.
 - There might be some issue of using vtkPanel in a Swing GUI

Had anyone seen something like this before?

Cheers,
    Christian Poecher