[vtkusers] Need help with converting VTK files to OBJ format

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Jun 14 15:29:43 EDT 2001

Hello Hooman,

Are your 3D medical images in structured points (3D volume) format or
polydata (geometry) format? If they are polygonal data then you can try out
PolyView - an application / ActiveX control that Kitware should be
releasing tomorrow. You can read vtk polydata and write Wavefront OBJ files.

If your data is volumetric, then you'll need to create surfaces from it to
write it into Wavefront format I believe (does OBJ support volumes?). If
you need to create surfaces you might want to try out VolView
(http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html). You can load vtk structured
points data files and create surfaces (in VTK or STL format - but you can
then use PolyView to convert that to OBJ).

Lisa