[vtkusers] VTK MPI with SSH Display problem

Robert Belleman robbel at science.uva.nl
Mon Jul 23 18:32:48 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:51:00AM -0700, John Shalf wrote:
> Actually they can watch your keystrokes anyways (xhost or
> not).  Unless you use ssh to encrypt your X11 connection,
> all network traffic is in clear-text.

All the more reason to use ssh conections.

> Unfortunately X11 doesn't forward GLX; it only forwards X11
> traffic.  So ssh will fail to work properly if your graphics
> uses GLX (the remote GL protocol extension to X) which would
> force you to resort to the dubious "setenv DISPLAY
> <host>:0;xhost+<host>" method.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. I run OpenGL over ssh connections on
a regular basis without problems. You may have an X server that doesn't
support the full range of OpenGL extensions over GLX. I know Sun/Solaris
has a problem with this.

But XFree86 4.0.1 using nVidia's GLX works fine for me, using ssh,
with a firewall inbetween.

Have a talk with your sysadmin or operating system vendor!

Best,
-- Rob

[] Robert Belleman         X  Section Computational Science            []
[] robbel at science.uva.nl  |X| University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands []
[] tel: (+31) 20 525 7510  X  http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbel/       []