[vtkusers] vtk w/ CAVElib and clipping

Tony Lavoie lavoie at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 17 12:16:28 EDT 2001

Hello all! I'm using vtk in a CAVE application. The CAVE library does its
own OpenGL calls to manage the camera view and stereo rendering, so I have
CAVE-based subclasses to RenderWindow and Renderer which avoid calling
those things which are handled by the CAVE lib- swapbuffer calls,
Camera::Render calls, etc. All of this works actually, though I've got an
interesting side-effect.

Whether I have the headsq dataset or a simple cone on display in the cave,
if I translate it vertically (set with PolyDataMapper::SetTranslation)
past a certain point, the object disappears, as if the display list gets
clipped. Printing the properties of the PolyDataMapper shows that no
clipping planes are defined, and no glEnables get called for clipping
planes (at least in PolyDataMapper). Maybe of some use, these
CAVE-based subclasses were initially written for vtk2.3; I brought them up
to be able to build against vtk3.2.

What else could be mangling things and causing this case of disappearing
graphical objects?

-Tony