[vtkusers] linking problem

Kola Babalola kola.babalola at stud.man.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 06:28:26 EDT 2001

Hi,

I am new to vtk myself. I can't remember how I got the address of the
following website, but it gives details for setting up vtk in visual c++.

http://www.marketsys.com/amres/html/vtk_setup.htm

Basically for visual c++ do the following.
1)place vtkdll.lib in a directory like c:\vtkbin\vtkdll\
2)Copy vtkdll.dll into the system area. for nt it is something like
c:\winnt\system32
3)Open a new project in visual c++ (try a win32 console application for
simplicity)
4)Go to the Project Settings (project -> settings) and do the following
		(i) On the link tab add the following files in the 'Object/Library
modules'
			Opengl32.lib
			glaux.lib
			full path and directory of vtkdll.lib (something like
c:\vtkbin\vtkdll\vtkdll.lib)
		(ii) On the C/C++ tab
			Select Preprocessor as the category.
			In 'Additional Include Directories' enter the directories containing the
vtk header files. Should be something like
(c:\vtk,c:\vtk\common,c:\vtk\graphics,c:\vtk\imaging).

You should then be able to do your compiling and linking with no errors.

Kola