[vtkusers] Getting union of overlapping surfaces?

Allan Loh lohawk at bigfoot.com
Mon Jan 29 06:56:58 EST 2001

Hi all,

  I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a problem I'm
currently having.  I have 2 planar (and partially overlapping)
surfaces (call them A, and B).
  I wish to obtain the overlapping area of both the surfaces.
My current pipeline looks something like.

  vtkOBJReader *A = vtkOBJReader::New();
  A->SetFileName(...);
  vtkOBJReader *B = vtkOBJReader::New();
  B->SetFileName(...);

  vtkImplicitDataSet *cutter = vtkImplicitDataSet::New();
  cutter->SetDataSet(A->GetOutput());

  vtkClipPolyData *cookie = vtkClipPolyData::New();
  cookie->SetInput(B->GetOutput());
  cookie->SetClipFunction(cutter);

  I expected cookie->GetOutput() to return the overlapping areas,
but currently it returns the entire surface of B.

  Any help is very appreciated.

Al