[vtkusers] Re: VTK on a DUAL Processor board

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Jan 20 01:33:07 EST 2001

hi,

    Nigel> More interesting is when your application is a simulation,
    Nigel> where significant time slices are spent preparing a dataset
    Nigel> for display.  By simply offloading the "generation" phase
    Nigel> to a worker thread, the GUI can remain responsive even on a
    Nigel> modest dual-300MHz box.  Here is where multiple chips can
    Nigel> mean the difference between an application that merely
    Nigel> "runs", and a killerApp that users enjoy using.  Of course,
    Nigel> some of your time will be lost struggling with issues that
    Nigel> arise from synchronizing the multiple threads.  But that is
    Nigel> time well spent!

How does one exactly make use of threads in VTK (from say under
Python)?  I am not completely familiar with threading issues so

   (1) Does VTK have to be compiled specially to enable threading?

   (2) What about "thread safety" of the VTK libraries?

   (3) I had heard that vtk + java +threads doesnt compile right and
   had asked this question lng back but no one seemed to know about
   this.

   (4) Will threading a vtk app work reasonably transparently - I mean
   apart from synchronization issues.  For instance threading the data
   reading/processing issues so that other parts of the app are still
   responsive etc.?  Will this work under all languages supported by
   VTK?

Clarifications on this would surely help some users.

prabhu