[vtkusers] Volume rendering with texture mapping

Dimitris Agrafiotis d.agrafiotis at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 05:56:18 EST 2001

Dear all

There are some things I would like to make clear about texture mapping
and volume rendering.

1) First of all can I have texture sizes that are not a power of 2?
2) I have a volume of size 216x216x183. What target size texture should
   I use?
3) If I use a 256x256 texture size what happens with the extra
   points? Are they interpolated , do I have to pad my volume with
    zeroes, or does this happen anyway?
4) If I intermix the above result with a surface generated from the
   original 216x216x183 volume will there be any problems?
5) And finally, when I render the volume with textures, I would like a
   specific part of the volume (a subvolume - let's say a cube) to be
   rendered differently (let's say with ray casting or with more
   samples.) Can I do that, and if yes, what would be the simplest way
   to do it?

Sorry for asking so many things.
Thanks in advance

Dimitris