[vtkusers] java or C++

Fabian Eilers eilers at informatik.mu-luebeck.de
Wed Dec 19 07:54:15 EST 2001

Yoshihiko NAGAMINE wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am going to develop a 2D and 3D Viewer for Medicine.

Me, too. I write a Medical Navigator for 3D worlds and data.

> I cannot decide language which called vtk.
> The caditate is Java and C++.

I use C++, because the VTK library  and the Qt library are written in C++.
It's easier for me to write and rewrite an application, if I use only one language.

Try to use Qt for developing your viewer. Its very easy to understand to write a GUI.
The vtkQGLWidget class from Jan Erhardt works fine, it brings Qt and VTK together, and you can
modifiy it to your own desires.
If there are some questions about how to show a VTK Window in a Qt Widget, look at the
examples of Jan Erhardts classes. They show the most important things.
His classes are written in C++, too
My question is, why do want to use Java ? You can do all what you want in C++ and you have no
problems in learning a second language, for example Java.

> (More deitailes, Java and Qt)
>
> Dose anybody has some advices or comments regarding my worry ?

I hope, I could help you.

Greetings
Fabian