[vtkusers] 64 bit version of vtk

Steve Smith sgsmith at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 31 13:27:35 EDT 2001

Hi,

I have compiled 64 bit under Irix everything worked fine for my
app.

All I did was add the "-64" option to the compiler flags in user.make:

# Add additional CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for compilation
# uncomment the following two lines to set your own flags
USER_CFLAGS =  -64 -O
USER_CXXFLAGS = -64 -O

This is for SGI's compiler.

One word of warning, if you have already compiled a 32 bit version,
remove the "so_locations" files otherwise the 64 bit libraries get
mapped to the old 32 bit address space locations and you end up
not being able to use most of the 64 bit space for data.
This file seems to indicate the default loading location for the
shared library.

At least I got bit by this when I first did the 64 bit compile,
perhaps the latest versions of the compiler update the "so_locations"
correctly when switching address size.

Steve