[vtkusers] VTK Nightly and Linux

Kent Vander Velden graphix at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 26 15:37:54 EDT 2001

In message <15080.16209.964706.874674 at monster.linux.in>, Prabhu Ramachandran writes:
>hi,

>    KVV>   Hi.  A couple of days ago I downloaded the then latest VTK
>    KVV> Nightly bundle and tried to compile it on my Linux machine.
>    KVV> I have tried several different configure sittings with the
>    KVV> latest one being:
>
>    KVV> # ./configure --with-tcl --with-shared --with-contrib
>    KVV> --with-patented --with-opengl --with-x --with -shared
>
>    KVV>   Mainly, I have tried combinations of --with-opengl,
>    KVV> --with-mesa, and --with-x.  Either tcl/vtk will not link at
>    KVV> the last step, my application will not link (messages about
>    KVV> OSMesa* functions missing), or when tcl/vtk is run the
>    KVV> following error message is shown before termination:
>
>I routinely build vtk under linux with the foll. flags
>
>./configure  --with-opengl --with-shared --with-tcl \
>--with-tkwidget --with-python --with-contrib --with-patented
>
>Ofcourse, I dont use X4.0.3 or the latest Mesa.  So I think that maybe
>--with-x is unnecessary.  Also, IMHO it might be better _not_ to use
>--with-mesa.  Could it be possible that the OpenGL headers are in a
>non-standard place and that configure isnt able to detect them?
>
>prabhu

  Thanks for the reply.

  I tried most (all?) of the combinations of --with-opengl,
--with-mesa, and --with-x (including not using them of course) (2^3
combinations).  However, each of them gave errors and basically did not
work.  Everything compiled and sometimes linked.  Either I would see
the message about VTK not being configured with mesaGL at run time or I
would get link errors concerning OSMesa* functions.

---
Kent Vander Velden
kent at iastate.edu