[vtkusers] Sub-sections of an unstructured grid.

Simon Bulman si_bulman at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 06:13:33 EDT 2001

Hello all,
I am fairly new to vtk (about a week) and am very impressed with what I have seen so far.
I am developing a visualization application to view Finite element meshes and results. I have
a question which I would appreciate some response to.

   Reading through the mail archive the problem of 'material regions' within a finite element mesh
   arose. As you may or may not know, the stresses (and strains) obtained from a FE simulation
   are discontinuous across these boundaries. The question then is how to produce contours (and
   colour maps) for these regions. Has anyone got any ideas for this ??

   I have created the concept  of mesh regions where each one has a vtkUnstructuredGrid. The field
   data for a specific region can then be set for the grid of that region and I get the one-to-one correlation
   between the point field data and the points of the grid (this is a necessity right ???).

   This will work fine (I hope), however and few problems will arise. If I want to display the point ids
   of a certain region I am unable to use vtkIdFilter because there is a local->global mapping of the
   point ids (and the cell ids). Is there a way around this.??? Maybe it is possible to create the correct data
   set for a vtkLabeledDataMapper using ids held in a vtkIdList???

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

Simon