[vtkusers] how can I visualize smoothing errors of a surface?

Sedat DOGAN2 d_sedat at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 2 18:40:33 EDT 2000

Dear friends,
I use vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter, to smooth a surface. It smoots the surface. But, at the end of the smoothing process, I want to display smoothing errors. For this purpose I use the   functions GenerateErrorScalars, and GrenerateErrorScalarsOn. When I use these functions, in the render window, smoothed surface is drawn with various colors. I think, these colors correspond to different error values. Here I have the following questions:

1- How is the smoothing error computed? (i.e, what is the error measure?)
2- How can I obtain the numerical values of these errors?
3- How can I draw a graphic to legend these error values?

If someone can help me about my above problems, I'll be very glad.

Best Regards.
Sedat Dogan
Ph.D.Candidate.
19 mayis University, Turkey.