[vtkusers] Problems compiling VTK 3.12

Carlos Martinez cmarbur at iti.upv.es
Fri Sep 22 05:10:15 EDT 2000

Hi all.

I have installed Red Hat 6.2 with Mesa 3.2 and Mesa-devel 3.2
packages. After that I have downloaded glxMesa-20000328-1 package from
Utah-GLX project homepage because I want to use the hardware aceleration
of my ATI Rage Pro card. I have had problems installing it because
dependencies so I have uninstalled Mesa and Mesa-devel. ¡¡Uuuaaauuu!! 3D
hardware aceleration works. Everything is OK after that. Now I have
downloaded vtk 3.1.2 from Kitware. I don't know if I have to use
--with-mesa or --with-opengl option in configure.

Some days ago, before I intalled glxMesa, I compiled vtk with --with-mesa
option and everything run OK with tcl examples. After I intalled glxMesa
and I notice that C++ examples weren't compiled. I try to compile them and
I had errors. I have compiled all vtk again with --with-opengl option and
I have got this error in vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx:

c++  -g -O2 -fPIC -D_HP_NO_FAST_MACROS -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_UNISTD_H
-I.  -I. -I./../graphics -DVTK_USE_GRAPHICS -I./../imaging
-DVTK_USE_IMAGING -I./../patented -DVTK_USE_PATENTED -I./../contrib
-DVTK_USE_CONTRIB  -I/usr/X11R6/include  -I./../common -I/usr/include
-I/usr/include -I/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/include
-I/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/include/linux -I/usr/include/python1.5 -c

vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx -o vtkGraphicsFactory.o
vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx: In function `static class vtkObject *
vtkGraphicsFactory::CreateInstance(const char *)':
vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx:181: `vtkXRenderWindowInteractor' undeclared (first
use this function)
vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx:181: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx:181: for each function it appears in.)
vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx:181: parse error before `::'
gmake[1]: *** [vtkGraphicsFactory.o] Error 1
gmake: *** [build_graphics] Error 2

I have seen that in vtkGraphicsFactory.cxx are #ifdef directives to
include some .h depending on wich is the
renderer. vtkXRenderWindowInteractor is included inside an #ifdef
VTK_USE_OGLR block but this is not defined when I use --with-opengl
option. However when I use --with-mesa option VTK_USE_MESA is
defined. ¿What can I do? ¿Have I done something wrong? I want to compile
cxx examples and with glx I have errors linking libraries using
--with-mesa option. I'm thinking to modify the code but I'm not sure.

Sorry for my English and for the length of this message. I'll be grateful
if you help me.

Good bye.