[vtkusers] Simplest Way To : display normals (move normals to vectors)

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Thu Sep 7 21:51:24 EDT 2000

Hi

Sometimes the simplest questions have long answers, but basically how do
you guys display the normals of a points set in the shortest amount of code ?

vtkHedgeHog provides a simple way to display *vectors*, thus the question
is now : how do I move/copy normals data to vectors data quickly ?

output->GetPointData()->SetVectors(input->GetPointData()->GetNormals) won't
work because vtkNormals are not vtkVectors.

I wrote a vtkNormalsToVectors filter some time ago (as an introduction to
polydata filter programming), it's small and easy, but I'm wondering if
it's possible to achieve the same effect from Tcl, and without looping over
the normals and building a new vtkVectors in a ProgrammableFilter. I'm
quite sure there is a trick, one of these elegant and obvious VTK tricks,
but lost in this sea of functions/features.

Thanks