[vtkusers] Debugging vtkdll from Borland C++ Builder

David Pont david_pont at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 12:21:55 EDT 2000

Dear Arvind,
  There is no "shrink wrap" "ready to run" distribution for Borland. Just
remember what an incredibly good purchase price vtk has!. The quickest way
might be to get the Core download and use Borlands IMPLIB to make a LIB file
so you can link to the DLL. But you need to link vtk to a GUI window created
by Borland, and this is a bit trickier.

I did it by building a DLL from the source, as I want to work on the vtk
source, and debug into it. So to take this approach, here is roughly what I
did.

You need to download the vtk source distribution for Windows, there is a
link from the VTK Home Page:

http://www.kitware.com/vtkhtml/vtkdata/HowToGetSoftware.html

It is a while since I did this but I think you need to download:

     vtk312Win32Src.zip

(I think vtk312Core.EXE is redundant, as you will build a DLL from the
source?, I cant remember exactly.)
Follow the instructions to unzip the source distribution, and run PCMaker.
You must tell it where the Borland compiler is etc. This creates two
makefiles (one for Debugging). Make sure the Borland "bin" directory is on
your path. Run the appropriate makefile from the command line with the
Borland "make". This will create a DLL and a LIB (this takes some time!).
Copy the DLL to /Windows/System. Now you can include the LIB file in your
project, and tell Borland where the include directories for vtk are, Eg:
/vtk/common;/vtk/contrib etc. This is basically it.

The tricky part is getting a window for vtk to render into, which handles
mouse and keyboard events. John Biddiscombe (the vtk/C++ Builder guru) has
done this and I use some code I got from him. I can send it to you if you
like. It is a Panel Component that integrates vtk with C++ Builder very
nicely.

So very briefly that is it, I may have left out some steps, but if you know
a bit about compilers in general, and C++ Builder it really is quite
straight foward.

  regards
    Dave Pont