[vtkusers] VTK on PC thru X-server

christopher moore aeolus at ocean.washington.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:52:17 EDT 2000

This question came up several times on the Vis5D users group: I'm hoping
they eventually put some info about it on the FAQ page.

I'm running VTK on a unix box (SGI Onyx2, Irix 6.5.4) and piping the
output to an xterm window in my PC.  I got GLX extension errors until I
installed Hummingbird Exceed 6.2, _and_ their add-on Exceed 3-D (which
gives GLX and double-buffered visuals) on my PC (winNT, service pack 3).

I've got a Elsa Gloria II video card, with supports OpenGL and stereo
rendering.  The Exceed 3-D allows VTK to write CrystalEyes stereo images
to my PC with fair interaction speeds (note that the SGI is on a LAN with
my PC).  The RenderWindowInteractor works without modification.

I haven't tried other x-servers, but this works well both for VTK and
Vis5D.

Happy Rendering,
Christopher Moore                             tel 206.526.6779
Research Scientist, Oceanography              fax 206.526.6744
University of Washington/JISAO/NOAA-PMEL