[vtkusers] Help: Using vtk with MFC - Access Violation (GDI32.DLL)

Francesco Vespignani vespa at ux1.unipd.it
Thu Nov 30 06:30:05 EST 2000

Dear Users,

I am a novice in vtk and i planned to use it under Microsoft Windows for
building a Multi Document Application. I started with Sample, using
MFC-derived vtk classes in C++.
After few steps i found that my application failed to correctly refresh the
documents views.

I went back to Sample and debugged it. Whit 2 or more documents the
debbuger gives many times the following message:

'First-chance exception in Sample.exe (GDI32.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
Violation.'

... And if i open many docs (5,6) and go from one to the other, after few
passages it fails to correctly refresh the windows.

Did anybody expirienced such problems ?
Should I use some older version of the compiler ?
There is something i missed ?

Tanks to evrybody.

Francesco

PS:
I use Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise Edition with O.S. Windows98 II ed, vtk 3.1
(from CD). [I tryed even with Nigthly but is the same]. I found the same
problem in different machines: with a newer graphic adapter with on board
32K RAM and openGL hardware implementations the problem seems to be even
more severe.

Francesco Vespignani

Universita` degli Studi di Padova
Dipartimento di Psicologia Generale
Via Venezia 8, 35131-Padova (Italy)
tel (dir.): ++39-049-8276639; FAX: ++39-049-8276600
e-mail: vespa at psico.unipd.it