[vtkusers] Improving VTK packages: some suggestions. [long]

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Fri Nov 24 13:59:31 EST 2000

At 24/11/2000 23:47, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>I agree with you.  Here are some thoughts:
>
>    (a) CMake sounds nice but isnt there yet.

Actually some people seem to use it :) And I've found some explanations
regarding the "Insight Toolkit" on the web. It looks like a mix of VTK
style and generic programming (STL). If Cmake succeeds in building such
beast correctly, while style creating Python / Tcl / Java and doxygen doc
automatically, then it should be interesting to test :)

>   The same is true for the
>    other suggestions at software-carpentry.  ScCons looks easy and
>    nice but I dont know if there is a working implementation.

Much of 'ScCons' has been done in 'Cons'. Now a Perl to Python port has to
be done.
I've contacted the Software Carpentry people, here is a part of the answer :

>[...] In answer to your question, we have asked
>the winners in the first three categories (configuration, build, and tracking)
>to fill in their designs; that work is scheduled to be finished by the end of
>the year.  At that point, implementation work will begin.

The interesting thing is that all tools (config, build, bug tracking, test)
will be written in Python, and will cooperate.

><snip>
>
>Thanks Sebastien for the information on build utilities.  It was
>useful.  Would you mind if your doxygen conversio scripts were added
>to the VTK source tree?

Kitware is already using these scripts to generate the doc. They asked me
if they could include them in the CVS, but I've seen nothing until now.
They made some modifications I'd like to see :)