[vtkusers] Improving VTK packages: some suggestions. [long]

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Nov 24 08:08:31 EST 2000

Hi Folks-

FYI, at Kitware we (Bill Hoffman) have developed  a tool called CMake
(cross-platform make) that will eventually replace the current vtk build
process. We are actively using it in our open-source
segmentation-registration toolkit (the Insight toolkit) that we are
developing (with 5 other partners) for the National Library of Medicine
Visible Human Project. It is very easy to use, is very fast, and generates
MC workspaces/projects and Unix makefiles. Also, this is a funded project
so it has the necessary support to make it happen..

We have been holding back introducing CMake into the vtk community for a
couple of reasons. One is because we've got a few more features to add; and
second the code is heavily templated and uses STL, etc. and requires a
decent C++ compiler. If anyone is interested we could send documentation
and the source code, please let me or Bill Hoffman know. The first public
release of the Insight toolkit will occur late in March of '01, so there
will be access then as well.

Will