[vtkusers] filtering polygon surfaces

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Mon Nov 20 14:15:50 EST 2000

Hi Jeff-

At 10:25 AM 11/20/2000 -0700, Jeff Weiss wrote:

>First, is it possible to generate non-manifold surfaces with marching cubes?
>  If so, any way to cut the connections or filter the parts out that I don't
>want using VTK?  If marching cubes in VTK doesn't generate non-manifold
>surfaces, what other or tools in VTK might I use to avoid getting polygons
>other than just the cortical surface when extracting isosurfaces from CT
>datasets of bones?

Surface are always manifold, but there may be many disconnected manifold
surfaces.
Try using vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter, this might get rid of some noise.
(By default it extracts the
single largest surface.)

Will

Dr. William J. Schroeder
Kitware Visualization Solutions / VTK Commercial Support
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
1-518-371-3971 (Phone & Fax)