[vtkusers] Support for curved elements

Mark Beall mbeall2 at simmetrix.com
Tue Nov 14 09:06:37 EST 2000

Hi Ben,
One way to do this is to divide up each of your curved elements into
a larger number of straight-sided elements such that the resulting
mesh looks right. This has some bad side effects, not the least of
which is that the amount of data that you have to pass to vtk increases
greatly. However on the plus side, it does work. Depending on what
you're doing it may or may not be a good solution.

Unfortunately, most (all?) visualization packages assume that your
geometry and data should be linearly interpolated. I can kind of
understand this from their point of view since as soon as you
go beyond that things get much more complicated than they already
are. I think that Will et. al. at Kitware have some good ideas of
how to incorporate such capabilities in vtk, all they are lacking
is sufficent interest from others (e.g. money) to put it in place.

If there are enough vtk users out there that expressed interest in
having such capabilities in vtk it could help Kitware find someone
to help fund those developments. So, if anyone else out there wants
this, please speak up.

mark