[vtkusers] Re: Memory loss under dual-cpu/Win2000/OpenGL

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Sun Nov 5 23:51:39 EST 2000

Hi Sebastien,

> I ran 10 different VTK tcl scripts, one after the other,
> and there were no leaks on my *single* processor (Athlon 800)
> Windows 2000 Pro SP1 platform.

This is of great interest.  If this problem only manifests
on multiprocessor PC's, that may explain why it has not been
discussed earlier.  Some optimization flag keeping the OpenGL
DLL's from being unloaded...?  Time to call Microsoft :-)

Thanks Sebastien!
Nigel

PS: Anyone know how to get a bug report to Microsoft? After
an hour I still cannot find any appropriate email address.

--- Sebastien BARRE [seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr] wrote ---

>Hi Nigel,
>
> I have a similar problem under Windows 2000 which I was blaming on my
> video driver, but maybe it is the fact that my machine has two processors,

> who knows? VolView takes about 350MB just to start (no data loaded) where
> it takes under 30 on a Windows NT system with the same video card. I have
> not looked carefully at whether VTK causes leaks, but everything seems to
> (even when I am not running VTK the memory size grows until I need to
reboot)

Hi Lisa, Nigel

> > To check if you get the same problem, open the Windows Task
> > Manager and see whether the number for "Total" rises by 4MB
> > after any OpenGL app exits (e.g. running Vtk TCL scripts)

I ran 10 different VTK tcl scripts, one after the other, and there were no
leaks on my *single* processor (Athlon 800) Windows 2000 Pro SP1 platform.

But I'm confused about the way w2k seems to handle memory. Or maybe is
there another *big* leak in my set of softwares, as w2k seems to be more
greedy than NT4.