amazingly slow red-blue stereo

Palmer, Mark (CMIS, Floreat Park) Mark.Palmer at cmis.csiro.au
Sun May 28 23:02:48 EDT 2000

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this problem. Ive slightly
modified the cone.tcl example to display in red-blue stereo., ie have made
the following changes

vtkRenderWindow renWin
    renWin AddRenderer ren1
    renWin StereoCapableWindowOn
    renWin StereoRenderOn
    renWin SetStereoTypeToRedBlue

and now everything runs amazing slow on my nt4 desktop, using an nvidia riva
tnt2 chip (using the latest drivers from a couple of weeks ago). If i
comment out the 3 stereo related lines it zooms along as before.
But with stereo enabled everything associated with that window crawls,
including grabbing a corner and resizing. Interacting with the cone image
just does not happen. However, performance is acceptable (well barely on my
nt4 laptop).

Thanks

Mark Palmer
Leeuwin Centre
Environmetrics Project
65 Brockway Rd,
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
Floreat Park
Phone:              61-8-9333-6293
Western Australia
Fax:                  61-8-9333-6713