[DOC] update/new (was Re: excellent VTK documentation)

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Sat May 27 13:44:45 EDT 2000

At 16:36 23/05/00 +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran a écrit:

>    Jan> thanks.  the whole documentation can be build from
>     Jan> yourself. if you want a search engine, just uncomment the
>     Jan> part in the doxyfile and it will build a very fast and nice
>     Jan> search engine. all you need is a webserver for the search
>     Jan> engine.
>
>         Yes, this is exactly what I do for the vtk-doc debian packages
>I've made. [...]
>         The search engine is really nice.  It digs up really relevant
>documents.  Even the kitware guys dont have such a cool search
>feature.  To cite an example I searched for the words "legend" on my
>local copy and bang it returned vtkScalarbarActor with a 100 for the
>hit score!

Hi.

Some news from the doxygen documentation project :)

I do not know if everyone is ready to run a web server to get this search
feature, therefore I've just added a new script to the family :
         - doc_index.pl : build full-text index

This Perl script will parse all C++ headers and build a full-text index. I
tried to work hard to reduce the number of relevant words : a stop-words
list is used to remove usual terms (like 'the', 'a', and so on), and I
wrote a kind of 'grouping' feature that will collapse different forms of
the same word or verb. All words are lowercase, except when they were all
uppercase (accronym). As you see, it's more a hack than a full-featured
full-text index builder like Adobe Acrobat Catalog :)

The result is a (huge) page listing all words and the corresponding
files/classes (sorted by relevancy, i.e. decreasing occurence of the word).
Only the first 10 classes are listed, but you might change that with --limit.

Here is the page :
ftp://sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr/pub/barre/vtk/doc/html/page_idx.html

Prabhu, click the 'l' letter in the navigation bar, then locate the word
'legend' : you will find vtkScalarbarActor :)

And the whole stuff (updated doc) is still here :
ftp://sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr/pub/barre/vtk/doc/

Enjoy
"info vtkusers" to the same address.