Error message after successful compilation?

Rene Tschirley pooh at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon May 22 08:11:10 EDT 2000

Dear Marc-Andre,

>239882:Simple: rld: Fatal Error: attempted access to unresolvable symbol
>in /sauvignon/people/mag/lib/libVTKGraphics.so: glXChooseVisual
[...]
>But can I do to get my little example to work???

Generic answer: Some shared library defines the function
glXChooseVisual() which is used by libVTKGraphics. Now, the dynamic
linker doesn't find this function in any available shared library. Try to
figure out, which library defines this method (try to use the utility
'nm' on static libraries or the afaik GNU utility 'objdump -T' to print
out the contents of a library) and check why the linker doesn't find this
library (usually, the path has to be included in the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

On my system, the function is defined by libGL.so:

/usr/lib> objdump -T libGL.so.1.2.0 | grep glXChooseVisual
000f2540 g    DF .text  0000034e  Base        Fake_glXChooseVisual
000f12a0 g    DF .text  0000002c  Base        glXChooseVisual
000f31c4 g    DF .text  00000003  Base        Real_glXChooseVisual

Hope this helps.

Bye,
	René

--
Dipl.-Inform. René Tschirley,              http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pooh
TU Berlin, Computer Graphics and Computer Assisted Medicine research group