BUGRPT: VTK 3.1 & Python callbacks

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 06:58:28 EDT 2000

David Gobbi:
 |Here is the chunk of code in vtkObject.cxx that is called whenever
 |a VTK error occurs:
 |
 |   void vtkObject::BreakOnError()
 |   {
 |   }
 |
 |As you can see, it doesn't do much (or anything in fact).

Ahh.  Thanks.  That answers my question.

 |For large applications, this would be a great feature.

Right. That's exactly what I had in mind.

In larger apps where datasets are loaded and unloaded, pipelines are
created/destroyed/reparameterized, and the user has control of more and
more parameters, something is going to fail.  The question is whether we
can meaningfully clean up and go on, or must force the user to quit and
restart the program.

A middle ground would be to make the VTK app a subprocess of the GUI app,
and when it goes astray, kill it and start another one.  The user still has
to eat the data reload and full pipeline reexecution time, but at least the
"program" as they perceive (the GUI) doesn't completely quit on them.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com
"info vtkusers" to the same address.