BUGRPT: VTK 3.1 & Python callbacks

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu May 18 14:44:05 EDT 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Randall Hopper wrote:

> I was thinking in terms of, does VTK expose a visible success/failed status
> when the pipeline detects a error.  This is something I don't know.  I know
> I've seen plenty of pipelines fail and print errors, but I don't know if
> error detection and recovery is supported via the API.

Here is the chunk of code in vtkObject.cxx that is called whenever
a VTK error occurs:

   void vtkObject::BreakOnError()
   {
   }

As you can see, it doesn't do much (or anything in fact).
It would be possible to add a hook to allow errors to
propagate back to the C++ application or to the wrapper
language instead of always being printed.  It would also
be possible for errors in Python callbacks to propagate
through VTK back to the main Python interpreter.

For large applications, this would be a great feature.
Error recovery in VTK is not complete, but is pretty
good.  Someone still has to write the code, though.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group

"info vtkusers" to the same address.