Bug Report: texture-mapped actor problem under Win 98, 2000

Jane Haslam jh at tricorder.co.uk
Mon May 22 04:07:34 EDT 2000

Hi All,

I am a VTK newbie, and have found what appear to be two bugs using VTK
3.1 under Windows 98 / 2000 which don't appear under NT 4.0.
In both cases I have written a simple application based upon the MFC Sample
demo.

1) Texture-mapped actors. I am experiencing a problem (on Win 98/2000 but
not NT) in texturing mapping 3D surfaces. Under '98/2000, any surface for
which the texture map dimension in x or y is greater than 1024 does not
display the texture. Sub-sampling the texture map such that both dimensions
are less than 1024 cures the problem. The original code worked fine under NT
4.0.
NB I'm not sure whether this is a graphics card problem or an OS problem.

2) I am using a  vtkTextMapper and vtkActor2D to display 2D text on the
Render Window in a particular colour, along with a texture-mapped surface.
(Again) under NT 4.0 everything is fine, but under '98/2000, the 2D text
appears in the wrong colour (dark grey). Interestingly, if I add the
texture-mapped surface to the vtkRenderer in vtkMFCRenderView using the
AddActor method of vtkRenderer rather than calling Props->AddItem in the
vtkMFCDocument class, I can partially cure the
problem - the text appears in the correct colour until the OnUpdate method
of
CSampleView is called.

Has anyone else hit these problems and/or solutions to them?

Thanks,

Jane

Dr. Jane Haslam, Tricorder Technology plc

"info vtkusers" to the same address.