BUGRPT: VTK 3.1 & Python callbacks

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Mon May 15 15:21:54 EDT 2000

Hi Randall,

I noticed this problem about a year ago, but it hasn't come up in any
of my own code recently.  I've committed a fix to CVS.  If you want to
patch your own copy, add

  if (PyErr_Occurred())
    {
    PyErr_Print();
    }

after

  result = PyEval_CallObject(func, arglist);

in 'vtkPythonVoidFunc(void *arg)' in common/vtkPythonUtil.cxx.

  - David

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Randall Hopper wrote:

>      Here's a trivial translation of the VTK expCos2.tcl example to Python.
> It appears that VTK 3.1 doesn't check for error when returning from a
> Python callback (e.g. bessel in the example), so if there is an error (bad
> variable name, divide by zero, etc.), the user won't have any way of
> knowing except that the network doesn't work.
>
>      FWIW, I wanted to make sure that Programmable Source object callbacks
> were implemented and working well in the Python wrappers before using one
> in my tool.  Translating the example was an easy way to do that.  Except
> for the missing error propagation just described, they seem to work well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randall

"info vtkusers" to the same address.