WAS : vtkCamera ...

Joey Mukherjee joey at phobos.space.swri.edu
Fri May 12 10:28:49 EDT 2000

>I believe that the benefits of open-sourcing the pieces (maintenance,
>enhancement, training, publicity/marketing, public service, etc.) outweighs
>the need to keep software proprietary.

>>this is a problem I have at work which is that although we're doing
>>research, we are commercially exploiting some software and I'm told that if
>>I "give away" too much useful stuff I'll get a beating.
>>
>>Anyone else had the same trouble and found a way out?

We give away all of our source code to the analysis system we write and find
that people still don't want to use it because it was "not invented here".  They
would rather redo everything for reasons I've never understood...

We do research as well, and we always get funded by tying our stuff to a system
that we deliver as a whole, or a value added part of our system.  With the
client also having the source code, they could change the stuff if they wanted
too, but then they realize that they would have to do more work, so they just
fund us to do it.  Not being proprieatary has helped us a great deal since our
domain is very open and we are being funded by taxpayers anyway, and they like
knowing the work is out in the open.

If you consider releasing more pieces, I'd love to see the vtkOStoXYZ class you
created! :-)

Joey

+     Joey Mukherjee                     "Everyone needs a hobby.          +
+      joey at swri.org                      World domination is as good      +
+  http://www.space.swri.edu/~joey        as any other.                    +
"info vtkusers" to the same address.