VTK 3.1.2 and Java -- three new problems!

Rene Tschirley pooh at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri May 12 10:22:33 EDT 2000

Hi!

Once again, thanks to all who replied to my question. Maybe, someone
could write a short paragraph in one of the Readme files?

Now, as the installation proceeded, the next three errors occured:

The obviously machine generated file common/java/vtkActor2DJava.cxx uses
the function vtkJavaAddObjectToHash. In my vtk2.3 distribution, this
method is implemented in common/vtkJavaUtil.cxx but vtk3.1 seems to miss
this method completely. I could find no file which implemented this
function, so I copied the implementation from vtk2.3 to vtk3.1 and
modified the vtkJavaUtil.h -- and the installation proceeded once again.

The second: in 3.1, vtkJavaUtil.h defines:
    struct vtkJavaVoidFuncArg
    {
      JavaVM *vm;
      jobject  uobj;
      jmethodID mid;
    } ;
but in the file java/vtkProcessObjectJava there are several functions
which use a structure member called uenv. Once again, I had a look at the
implementation of 2.3. There, the definition is:
    struct vtkJavaVoidFuncArg
    {
      JNIEnv * uenv;
      jobject  uobj;
      jmethodID mid;
    } ;
What the hell is going on here? Did _anybody_ compile the 3.1.2 source? I
got the vtk312Unix.tar.gz from kitware which is 3388867 bytes in size.

The last problemis not a vtk problem but a Java 1.2.1 problem. The file
jni.h does not do a 'typedef jobject jref'. I had to do this
manually. Maybe this could be done automagically by vtk?

Bye,
	René

--
Dipl.-Inform. René Tschirley,              http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pooh
TU Berlin, Computer Graphics and Computer Assisted Medicine research group