VTK 3.1.2 and Java

David D. Marshall gte552m at prism.gatech.edu
Fri May 12 09:34:51 EDT 2000

For some reason, dependencies are not used in building the java classes and
thus it is trying to build vtkProp before vtkActor2D :(.  There was a
discussion about this problem a few months ago, but the mail archive is
worthless, and my email archive is at home.  Try setting all of the java
variables in user.make in the root vtk directory.  Hopefully some else will
fill in the blanks, if not I will email you more info when I am home this
weekend.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Rene Tschirley wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm desperatedly trying to install vtk312 on Debian/GNU Linux and
> Solaris2.7. I'm trying quite unsuccessful. Does anyone have more
> experience with Java-Vtk than me?
>
> The Makefile stops with:
>
> vtkActor2D.java:7: Superclass vtk.vtkProp of class vtk.vtkActor2D not found.
> public class vtkActor2D extends vtkProp
>                                 ^
>
> I tried to compile the file vtkProp manually and find a tree of
> inheritances. Starting with vtkObject, vtkCollection, I found a circular
> dependency: vtkProp.GetActors_1() needs vtkPropCollection,
> vtkPropCollection.AddItem_1() needs vtkProp. Game over.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint?
>
> Bye,
>         René
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. René Tschirley,              http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pooh
> TU Berlin, Computer Graphics and Computer Assisted Medicine research group

> "info vtkusers" to the same address.

David D. Marshall
ARTLab System Administrator/GRA
http://www.ae.gatech.edu/research/artlab/artl/artlab.html