More on leaks

Tom Radcliffe radcliffe at igotechnologies.com
Thu May 11 22:31:24 EDT 2000

I've done a bit more investigation, including trying to run Purify on
the leaky example I posted.  The Purified version dumps core in
_register_frame_info in libstdc++, long before getting near my code --
if anyone has had success with Purify on a VTK app  on Solaris I'd love
to hear from you;  I've got a request in to Rational tech support, but
I'm not holding out a lot of hope on that front.

Using gdb, I've tracked the leak down to somewhere close to the line 271
in vtkOpenGLPolydataMapper.cxx (this in VTK 3.1 release), which is:

	this->Draw(ren,act);

The interaction with the windowing system is tricky, and the growth in
the app's size does not appear to show up until the window is actually
re-rendered, which suggests this is due to some subtle interaction with
OpenGL, but I'm so far beyond my competence here that that's just a
guess.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

--Tom