Offscreen Rendering

Sathya Krishnamurthy skrishna at cscs.ch
Tue May 9 11:53:47 EDT 2000

> So, not to be too nice to SGI, but they've got a pretty good thing going
> for rendering offscreen without taking the performance hit.  If anyone has
> some other OpenGL extensions that might help accelerate offscreen
> rendering on the Sun architecture, I'll be happy to put it in.

Hi John and Others

I tested the Offscreen Renderer on a Indigo2. My test results for
rendering 100 images offscreen from a geometry were about 1000 s..whereas
with on screen they were about 600 s.

So as such I am not getting a performance leap. Is there anything specific
I have to do to make it work better for SGI's ? I did compile it with
PBUFFERS.

All the offscreen rendering and evaluation over multiple platforms are a
part of a series of evaluations of machines and softwares we are doing
currently. Comparing Softwares like Ensight and VTK under Tcl/Java/C++
with onscreen and offscreen rendering. Surprisingly in all my results
Offscreen rendering performed poorer than OnScreen as far as VTK is
concerned.

Any comments and Ideas are Welcome ?

cheers
~sathya