Compiling on LinuxPPC

Yves Starreveld ystarrev at julian.uwo.ca
Fri May 5 08:47:12 EDT 2000

Hi, Stacho,

Seems this comes up from time to time.
MacOS has a 31 character filename limitation which means that about 108
files (as of last year anyway) need to be renamed to be accessed (and,
of course all files that reference them must be changed). This is doable
(I've got a Python script that does it) but a hassle.

One needs to rewrite all the classes that have Win32 in their name to
provide mac equivalent functionality. Otherwise, tcl/tk, python, etc are
all available and functional for the mac. Another tack would be to go
the glut route.

The best solution is to go the linux route as you have.

I am also working on an OSX port of vtk, but the Darwin kernel I am
working with currently lacks fstream support in its stdlibc++. I redid
makedepend.cxx so as to use C-style streaming IO and that got things compiling.

The other issue is the UI. OSX window manager is _different_ from the
other window managers supported by vtk, so some stuff will need to get
written for that. The APIs are still in a state of flux, however.

Currently, however, running on a Mac does not really get you anything.
Accelerated OGL is much slower with the currently available crop of
graphics boards. Well, crop of one (Rage128Pro).

I am putting something together that will allow one to use a Python
wrapping to use Interface Builder objects to deal with all the widget
hassles dealt with by Tk. And of course, there are a lot of imaging
filters that we use that would benefit from the G4's vector unit.

Yves

Yves Starreveld
Image Guided Surgery Laboratory
Robarts Research Institute