Java

Daniel J. Blezek, Ph.D. blezek at crd.ge.com
Wed Mar 29 10:43:08 EST 2000

David, and Randy (and other interested parties),

  Thanks for the help, I figured out how to get the Java stuff to compile
out of the box, but had a question/request.  Currently in user.make you
must specify where you want the *.class files to go (i.e. the
JAVA_CLASS_HOME variable). Since class files are like ".o"'s shouldn't we
educate the makefile as to where to put them? I suggest vtk/java/classes.
This could me made part of the build process by default, removing the need
to create a hard path in user.make.

  Suggestions?

  The mis-feature in removing threads when compiling with Java was
actually a necessity.  In previous (<1.2.2) versions of Java, JDK used is
own "green-threads" which weren't compatable with pthreads.  So pthreads
lost out when using Java.  The configur.in file was changed in Aug 97, and
the situation has changed, at least in the latest JDK that I got from Sun.
If we can decide that pthreads and Java play well for everyone who is
using them, we could add the changes back in.  FYI, works fine under Linux
with JDK 1.2.2 & pthreads, but we need a suite of tests for the Java
bindings.

Thanks,
-dan

Daniel Blezek, Ph.D.