VTK and VolumePro

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Mar 14 10:56:22 EST 2000

Hi Jens-

 From the file vtkVolumeProVG500Mapper.h:

// This class is not included in the contrib Makefile.in by default. If you
// want to add this class to your vtk build, you need to have the vli header
// and library files, and you will need to perform the following steps:
//
// 1. Make sure you are building with the contrib kit. On Unix add
//    --with-contrib to your configure line, on Windows check the
//   contrib box on PCMaker.
//
// 2. Edit the Makefile.in in contrib. Add the following three classes to
//    the CONCRETE list of classes:  vtkVolumeProVG500Mapper,
//    vtkOpenGLVolumeProVG500Mapper. Please be
//    certain that there are no spaces after the "\" that separates lines.
//
// 3. Specify the include path for vli.h to the vtk make process.
//    For Windows, add the option -I "/path/to/vli/" to the Advanced Options
//    Extra Compiler flags of pcmaker.  For example, the following works here:
//    -I "c:\Program Files/VolumePro/inc" -DVTK_USE_VLI
//    For UNIX, add the path to USER_CXXFLAGS as a -I option to the compiler.
//    Or you can edit vtkVolumeProMapper.h and specify the include path
//    for vli.h, or simply copy the vli.h file to your contrib directory.
//
// 4. Add a -DVTK_USE_VLI to the compile options.
//    For Windows, add the flag in the Advanced Options Extra Compiler Flags
//    of pcmaker.
//    For Unix, add the flag to USER_CXXFLAGS in user.make.
//
// 5. On Windows - add the vli.lib file to the Extra Linker Flags under
//    the Advanced Options. For example the following works here:
//    "c:\program files\volumepro\lib\vli.lib"
//    On Unix - add the vli shared object to the
//    KIT_LIBS in the Makefile.in in contrib.
//
// 6. On Windows - make sure vli.dll is somewhere in your path before you
//    run vtk. You can put it in your vtkbin/lib or vtkbin/Debug/lib if
//    you want. On Unix - make sure the vli shared object is in your
//    shared library path before you run.
//
// 7. Reconfigure and rebuild vtk. You should now be able to create a
//    vtkVolumeProMapper which, if you have a VolumePRO board and the
//    device driver is running, should connect to the hardware and render
//    your volumes quickly.
//