Jpeg Encoder in VTK?

Sebastien Barre barre at sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr
Thu Mar 9 11:45:09 EST 2000

At 11:36 09/03/00 -0500, David Gobbi a écrit:

>I think that a more conservative approach might be better,
>i.e. write a vtkJPEGWriter class that uses libjpeg.  That
>will a) guarantee compliance with the JPEG standard and
>b) be a lot easier than re-writing the JPEG code.

Ooops, sorry, I was not clear enough : when I mentioned jpeg-6b, I was
implicitly referring to libjpeg. I do agree with you 100%, standard
librairies should be used thoroughly. Rewriting a JPEG lib from scratch
would not make much sense considering that libjpeg or even libpng or libz
(which I'm using in my own medical converter) are stable, portable, and
maintained by teams.

What I was thinking of, is a vtkJpegCodec class as a object-oriented
front-end for libjpeg.

>Just to reiterate, any VTK image readers/writers for non-trivial
>file formats should be based on existing standard libraries
>e.g. libtiff, libjpeg, libpng, libnetcdf, etc.

Yep.

--
Sebastien BARRE
IRCOM-SIC, UMR-CNRS 6615 - Université de Poitiers