Jpeg Encoder in VTK?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Mar 9 11:36:53 EST 2000

Hi Julian, Sebastien,

I think that a more conservative approach might be better,
i.e. write a vtkJPEGWriter class that uses libjpeg.  That
will a) guarantee compliance with the JPEG standard and
b) be a lot easier than re-writing the JPEG code.

A jpeg CODEC would also be nice, but in my opinion it should
be separate from the JPEG writer.

The current vtkTIFFWriter should also be replaced one of these
days... it doesn't even support the baseline TIFF standard!  It
would be nice if there was a compile-time options to use libtiff.

Just to reiterate, any VTK image readers/writers for non-trivial
file formats should be based on existing standard libraries
e.g. libtiff, libjpeg, libpng, libnetcdf, etc.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group