dicom2/vtk (était Re: CT on a MO Drive (DICOM 3))

Sebastien Barre barre at sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr
Tue Mar 7 09:06:46 EST 2000

At 10:05 06/03/00 -0600, vtk a écrit:

>AA> Hello ,
>
>AA> I got a mo drive with ct data from a GE computer tomograph (DEC-702
>AA> optical disk).  Now we should read this drive. It's written in the
>AA> DICOM 3 standard. We have an optical drive which (I hope) can read my
>AA> disk under Unix. Does anybody no a software to read that data, or an
>AA> other possibility where I can get a drive and software to read this disk.
>AA> May be I can get the data also on a tape, is this the easier way to
>AA> read the data?

VTK is able to read raw files;  I wrote a free DICOM converter that might
be used to convert medical images to a raw format. This is how I deal with
medical images actually :

http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/dicom/dicom2/

There is a special section dedicated to its use regarding the Vtk :

http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/dicom/dicom2/how-to.html#Convert to raw

Check both sections:

    "Usage (1) -> Conversion -> raw"
    "How to -> Convert to raw (vtk)"

You might also have a look at the "bible" : The Medical Image Format FAQ
http://idt.net/~dclunie/medical-image-faq/html/

Hope it helps

>Hello Anner,
>
>I am in the same situation as you:
>
>I have the data transfered to a normal CD(650M CD, one technician did
>this, she uploaded data to a dicom server (i think it was an unix machine),
>and then burned the cd, it was so strange, that dicome server couldn't
>read these files!)
>
>unfortunately, I couldn't read these data too.  The extension is
>'ima'.

...does not look good. There is no predefined file extension in the DICOM
protocol (part 10). Sometimes '.dcm', but '.ima' is most often used in
Siemens or GE proprietary format (i.e., not DICOM).

>I have tried several dicom softwares: Osiris, Dicome Eye,
>3D doctor... nobody can read it.
>file header:
>00h: 00 00 07 cf 00 00 00 0c 00 00 00 07 00 00 07 d4
>60h: 47 45 20 4d 45 44 49 43 00 (GE MEDIC)

This is not a DICOM conformant header (part 10).
Neither does it look like a "less conformant" format like ACR/NEMA 2.0, 3.0
(or pre-DICOM).
Sorry :)

"info vtkusers" to the same address.