subtracting surfaces

James Sharpe James.Sharpe at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 04:25:12 EST 2000

Hi all,

I am new to this user group, so I apologise if this question has been
dealt with a hundred times already!

If you have two arbitrary 3D shapes, defined by triangular surface
meshes and they overlap, can you subtract one from the other?

Ie. the same kind of operation which I know you can perform using an
implicit function (such as a plane or sphere), eg. the ice-cream cone
example, iceCream.Tcl

I have looked at the Boolean texture maps (eg. quadriCut.Tcl). This is
not the same, as it does not give you a new polygonal object. It
achieves the result purely by manipulating opacity of certain parts of
the image.

I would be extremely grateful for help on this matter,

James.
"info vtkusers" to the same address.