graphics card under linux ?

Vetle Roeim vetler at ifi.uio.no
Thu Mar 2 09:14:29 EST 2000

on 2000-03-02, owner-vtkusers at public.kitware.com wrote:

> I need to buy a new PC that will run under linux, and I would like to
> know which graphic card you would recommend in order to use VTK under
> this OS ?

If you are using Mesa3D (more or less the standard OpenGL implementation
used on Linux), you will need to get a graphics card supported by that
library if you want to take advantage of hardwaresupported rendering.

Take a look at <url:http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net/#Systems> to see what
cards are supported by Mesa3D. A card that supports the Direct Rendering
Interface (DRI) would probably be a good ide if you plan on upgrading to
XFree86 4.0 when it is released.

I have a Voodoo 3, but I have not yet been able to get it working under
Linux, although my efforts have been severly delayed by a few upcoming
deadlines.

If you have another OpenGL-implementation, you will have to check the
documentation to see what cards are supported.

--
Vetle Roeim
Graduate Student

"info vtkusers" to the same address.