[vtkusers] nvidia GeForce/GeForce2 cards with RedHat 6.2 and vtk

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Mon Jun 26 10:16:29 EDT 2000

At 15:05 26/06/00 +0200, Carlos Manzanares a écrit:

>The last week i went to the Linux/SGI meeting in Madrid and one of the
>main topics was
>visualization under Linux and their new visual workstations.

That's a good news. I've got a Visual 320 NT, and I was still doubting I
can install Linux on it (without crashing the whole stuff, or erasing this
BIOS).

>I got some information there that could be very useful: SGI is using in
>their visual
>workstations the chip nVIDIA GeForce

That's very strange... I'm more than perplexed :)

As you might know, Robert Riviere and I are maintaining a simple VTK 3D
benchmarks and a database that holds the results for every configuration.
http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/vtk/sphere-bench.html
the results are here :
http://www-sop.inria.fr/caiman/personnel/Robert.Riviere/vtk/sphere-bench/#re
sults

Some users have already tested the GeForce and the Visual 320 : the SGI
computer is 3 to 4 times faster than the GeForce configuration (and the SGI
540 is actually ruling the test). I know that other pieces of the hardware
are involved (RAM, bus and so on), but I guess that if I had a GeForce in
my computer, I'd not get such good performances (but it's expensive also).

Or maybe is the hardware done by Nvdia, but completely unrelated to the
actual GeForce architecture. The Visual SGI computer does not have any
"graphic card", the whole stuff mother-board + graphics chips + RAM + bus
is a single unit.

Or are you talking about future Visual workstations (I've haven't heard
anything about them) ?

Anyway, the GeForce / GeForce 2 is a great card, I'd definitely advise it
if you are on budget.

Just my 2 cents.