[vtkusers] Pipelines and high-level control (was GUI for VTK)

Bill Lorensen wlorens1 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 09:22:37 EDT 2000

David,
         I agree that the scripts and programs that are distributed with vtk are
flat. But, these are meant to illustrate pieces of vtk in isolation. They
are also useful for our automated testing. I don't see them as examples of
good object-oriented application design.

In our experience at GE, tcl is seldom used for real applications. The
visualization is just a small part of the application  and the app is
typically designed and written in an OO way. Some of our customers have
build abstractions that package vtk objects into pipelines that are more
domain specific such as medical imaging or industrial inspection.

As for a visual programming interface... sounds like a great project for our
user community. Perhaps you folks can get organized and start an open source
project on this topic.

Bill