[vtkusers] Real Time Visualization by VTK??

Ntfs ntfs at hkem.com
Wed Jun 7 11:19:51 EDT 2000

I've studied vtk by over 2 months by I still can't implement it
into my simulation program.
To be frank, vtk is the best visualiztion software that I can
find in the web. The most important is that it's free!!

But I want to raise the point that, can it carry out real time
visualiztion of data??
For my simulation program, it's something like that
for (x=0;x<max_iteration;x++)
{
   do simulation
}

If I want to use vtk for real time visualization of the data.
Of course, I can insert some code into the for loop, modify the
source and something "renWin->render()". But then, I can't
control the vtk window, no zoom, no span, no dolly.........etc.

If I use the vtkRenderWindowInteractor, then my program will
enter the endless message loop after "ren->Start()" and can't
back to my program for carrying out simulation.

I have thought of writing two programs, one is the simulation
program and another is a vtk program for visualization, the
data wanted to be visualized is being written to a specific
file and then read in by the vtk program. But the results of
this approach is not satisfactory.

Have anyone succeed in utilizing vtk for real time visulization
or is it any other gun program that can be used for real time visualization?