[vtkusers] Problem executing a VTK python script on a win98 machine

Jonathan M. Gilligan jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Jul 22 16:20:24 EDT 2000

It looks to me as though the problem is that vtkpython.dll is not in your
path or your PythonPath. Try "set
pythonpath=%pythonpath%;c:\vtk\vtkbin\lib" or wherever vtkpython.dll is and
see if this helps.

For myself, what I did was to add the following registry keys:

HKLM\Software\Python\PythonCore\1.5\Modules\vtkPython

with a REG_SZ default value equal to "c:\vtk\vtkbin\lib\vtkpython.dll"

and

HLKM\Software\Python\PythonCore\1.5\PythonPath\vtkPython

with a REG_SZ default value equal to "c:\vtk\vtkbin\lib"

see if either of these helps!

At 09:47 AM 7/22/2000, Andrew Uplinger wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm very new to using python, so please pardon my ignorance.  I have
>installed python 1.5.2 and have installed vtk3.1 (from the cd) with all
>the bells and whistles on a Win98 machine.  I am able to get non-VTK
>python scripts to work ok.  I tried to run the Cone.py script from the
>installation, and I receive the error messages listed below.  I feel like
>I'm missing something very obvious.  Any tips/suggestions would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andrew

>File "C:\Program Files\Python\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py",
>line 239, in RunScript
>
>exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
>
>File "C:\PROGRA~1\VTK31\PYTHON\Cone.py", line 8, in ?
>
>from libVTKCommonPython import *
>
>File "C:\PROGRA~1\VTK31\PYTHON\libVTKCommonPython.py", line 7, in ?
>
>from vtkpython import *
>
>ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
>functioning.

Jonathan M. Gilligan                     <jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu>
Research Assistant Professor of Physics                      (615) 343-6252
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Box 1807-B                    Fax: 343-7263
6823 Stevenson Center
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235           Dep't Office: 322-2828